Monday, May 23, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Challah

So, The Hazz is out of town at the Cantor's Convention this week. I'm all alone (boo hoo), and I've managed to slightly mess up my back (most likely picking up a toddler... not even an impressive injury). So, as I type this, I'm horizontal on the couch.

Okay, pity party over, I still felt like making a practice challah. AND OMG ROFL WTF BBQ IT. IS. AMAZING. We had 3 overripe bananas in the house, so I picked up some chocolate chips and here goes! I didn't end up needing all three bananas, so I threw in a few banana chocolate chip muffins for good measure. (Don't worry... I'm putting the muffins and one of the challot in the freezer... otherwise The Hazz will come back from Canada and I'll be enormous).
bananachocolate1
3/4 c water
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp honey
1 egg plus 1 more for egg wash
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 bananas...)
3 c flour plus about 1 additional cup
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 c chocolate chips (guesstimate)


Proof the yeast in the hot water with the honey.  Using a wooden spoon, mix in the oil, 1 egg, and banana.  Using a stand mixer (especially if your back is sore like mine) mix in the first 3 cups of flour, adding in the fourth cup as much as necessary.

Let rise about 2 hours or until nearly doubled in size.  Punch out the air bubbles and knead in the chocolate chips.  It's a somewhat sticky dough, so I opted for a three-strand braid.  Let rise again an additional 30 minutes.  Top with egg wash. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.

bananachocolate4

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Just...wow. You are incredible. Where do you even come up with these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this recipe make one loaf or two? Thanks. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a delicate item, banana is said to be a vital item on monetary, social, ecological and political establishment. bananen gezond

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! i've literally never baked with yeast before. How hot should the water be? and do you refrigerate the dough while it's rising? thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you, as a long time baker, that the water should not be hot, but it should be very warm. If it is too hot, it will kill the yeast.

      Delete

  6. In the event that you have an unpleasant activity or life you should need to think about planting a greenery enclosure this spring. https://xyzgardening.com/

    ReplyDelete